GroupBook: Connect with your people and Make Things Happen!
GroupBook is a mobile networking platform designed for Wechat users to: 1) help them find and connect with people who share the same interests; 2) Help group hosts efficiently manage group members and activities.
+ Duration | Nov 2017 – Present (3 mos)
+ My Role | UX Design, Product Management, Decision-making
+ Methods | Heuristic Evaluation, Stakeholder Meetings, User Flow Analysis, Low to Mid-fi Prototyping
+ Client | YiRental
+ Sector | Social Network
+ Team | Collaborating w/ software engineers
Challenge: Design a platform for both organizers and participants
Starting Fall 2017, I am interning at the YiRental as an UX Designer for its new social networking mobile platform—GroupBook(beta). Through the 3 month of laughter, learning and hard works, we brought the initial concept from scratch to launching. Here are some highlights of my personal growth:
- I engaged in every stage to bring the product to life. As the sole UX Designer, I focused on not only designing the workflow but also communicating, researching and coordinating with the founder and engineer. I spent most of my time evaluating and iterating based on meeting feedbacks and user data.
- I learned how to design with limited budget and technical constraints. I was challenged to wear multiple hats at the same time, and through this process, I also pushed myself out of the safe zone to gain understandings in business, branding, and engineering.
Although I am not able to share the final design as it is still in process, I am happy to share my process, challenges and solutions.
Design Problems & Users
- To make the on-boarding process easier.
- Help them finding groups that fit them better.
- Encourage Participation, reduce social anxiety.
Group & Event Hosts
- Simplify the recruiting process.
- Reduce the effort of group management using the GroupBook Assistant.
In order to test the concept early and quickly, we decided to design a MVP version to collect usage data for future development.
- Limited Budget;
- Limited time for research and testing;
- Remote dev team requires thorough communication
Research: Prioritize Features and Plan Design Process
Heuristic Evaluation + Quick User Testings — Understand What to Keep
Competitive Analysis + Desktop Research — Understand What to Add